NEBDN Online Diploma in Dental Nursing
The course covers
This online Dental Nurse course is designed to prepare students for the NEBDN Diploma in Dental Nursing and subsequent registration with the General Dental Council (GDC). Students who are enrolled into the course will primarily be based within their own workplace and will only attend the Dental Team Education Centre for three face to face sessions.
The vast majority of the course is taught online via the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). The online course consistently produces pass rates well above the national average and has high student satisfaction rates.
The course accepts a maximum of 20 places per course.
- Structure of a Tooth, Regional and General Anatomy
- Charting and Record Keeping
- Statutory Registration and Professionalism
- Health and Safety
- Medical Emergencies
- Microbiology and Infection Control
- Dental Disease and Prevention
- Local Anaesthesia and General Anaesthetic and Sedation
- Dental Materials and Equipment
- Restorative Dentistry
- Removable Prosthesis
- Oral Surgery
- Patient Communication and Management
How the course is delivered
The course consists of online theoretical training through our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), which supports the students workplace learning. Online training includes:
- Learning materials
- Exam-Style Modular assessments
- Continual tutor support
- Support for workplace mentors.
Student needs are initially assessed using a Basic Skills Literacy test. This will be completed during the induction day and will help staff identify students who may need additional support throughout the course.
The course also includes three compulsory face-to-face training days:
- Initial Induction
- Mock exam 1
- Mock exam 2
April 2023 with Induction Day Saturday 22 April 2023.
- Students must be employed as a Dental Nurse before enrolling onto the course
- A workplace mentor with GDC Registration
- Your workplace mentor must attend the initial induction with you, and must be in a position to spend time supporting your learning throughout the course and liaise with the course tutor. This may be a Dental Care Professional
- A GDC registered professional within the workplace who are willing to act as witnesses to your performance during completion of your Record of Experience. Each witness will need to complete a Witness Training Programme prior to observing any performance. Information regarding the Witness Training Programme is available here Witness Information Sheet PDF
- Access to assist in a range of general dentistry clinical procedures as outlined in the “Witness Information Sheet” available here Witness Information Sheet PDF to complete the Record of Experience (ROE).
- A computer or laptop to complete online activity (this online course is not compatible with Apple devices)
- Internet connection
- Self motivation
To qain the qualification you will need to:
- Complete a minimum of 85% of Application to Practice assignments
- Complete all End of Module assessments on the VLE
- Successfully complete the NEBDN Record of Experience (ROE) to document your clinical competence
- Achieve a pass in the NEBDN Written Examination
- Achieve a pass in the NEBDN Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
How to apply
- Give the Mentor Information Sheet PDF and Witness Information Sheet PDF to your employer/mentor to ensure they are happy to support you.
- Download and complete the Diploma Application Form (2)
- Download and complete the Applicant-checklist- Online Dental Nursing Diploma.
- Methods of Payment b
- Booking-Cancellation-Refund-Policy (a).
- Extenuating Circumstances Refund Extenuating Circumstances Refund Request FormRequest Form.
- Submit the completed application and your confirmation of payment. This can be posted or emailed to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net . Please send all documentation using the same method.
You will receive a conformation email up to 3 working days from submission.
Email kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net to enquire further about the course.
Candidates who fail the examination will continue to be supported by the DTEC team at no extra cost until the expiration of their Record of Experience. NEBDN however will charge a resit examination fee. Details of fees payable are available on the NEBDN website (www.nebdn.org). These fees are to be paid to DTEC in the first instance and are then forwarded to NEBDN.
Candidates who choose to / or are required to defer entry to the examination will continue to be supported by the DTEC team at no extra cost until the expiration of their Record of Experience. NEBDN however will charge a deferral fee. Details of fees payable are available on the NEBDN website (www.nebdn.org). These fees are to be paid to DTEC in the first instance and are then forwarded to NEBDN.