NEBDN Certificate in Orthodontic Nursing
This NEBDN qualification is for registered dental nurses who routinely assist during orthodontic procedures. This will give students the ability to practice competently and give them a greater understanding of orthodontic procedures.
The course covers
- Types of orthodontic treatment (fixed and removable)
- Orthodontic records
- Clinical photography
- Interdisciplinary care
- Oral health education.
There are a maximum of 12 places available for this course.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Describe the aims, limitations, risk and benefits or orthodontic treatment
- Provide oral health instruction
- Trace cephalometric radiographs
- Prepare patients for and take clinical photographs
- Demonstrate competence in assisting with the treatment of patients undergoing orthodontic treatment through the completion of a portfolio (Record of Competence).
You will be expected to attend training on:
- 4 May 2023
- 11 May 2023
- 08 June 2023
- 05 July 2023
- 07 September 2023
- 05 October 2023
- 02 November 2023
- 30 November 2023
- 04 January 2024
- 08 February 2024
- GDC registration
- Access to 50 orthodontic cases, including a minimum of 10 fixed, 10 removable and 5 functional as outlined in the Employer Information Sheet – Orthodontic Dental Nursing available here http://dtec.kch.nhs.uk/media/Employer-Information-Sheet-Ortho.pdf
- Self motivation
- Suitably qualified staff within the workplace who are willing to act as witnesses to your performance during completion of your Record of Experience. Each witness will need to complete a Witness Training Programme prior to observing any performance. Information regarding the Witness Training Programme is available here.
To gain the qualification you will need to:
- Attend 80% of course dates
- Successfully complete a NEBDN Record of Competence
- Achieve a pass in the NEBDN written examination.
How to apply
For documentation on how to apply please visit Ortho Nursing Application Pack
All documents can be emailed to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net. Please send all documentation using the same method.
Any applications received with missing documents will not be processed and will be returned directly to applicant.
You will receive a confirmation email up to 3 working days from submission.
Please do not attend if you feel unwell or have any symptoms of Covid-19.
If you are interested in joining our mailing list, please email adding ‘Mailing List – Dental Orthodontic Nursing’ in the subject line to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net
Candidates who fail the examination will continue to be supported by the DTEC team at no extra cost until the expiration of their Record of Competence. NEBDN however will charge a resit examination fee. Details of fees payable are available on the NEBDN website (www.nebdn.org). These fees are to be paid to DTEC in the first instance and are then forwarded to NEBDN.
Candidates who choose to / or are required to defer entry to the examination will continue to be supported by the DTEC team at no extra cost until the expiration of their Record of Competence. NEBDN however will charge a deferral fee. Details of fees payable are available on the NEBDN website (www.nebdn.org). These fees are to be paid to DTEC in the first instance and are then forwarded to NEBDN.