NEBDN Certificate in Oral Health Education
In order to deliver clear oral health education messages, you will be required to be able to communicate effectively with a range of patients with various oral health care needs.
This NEBDN qualification provides theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary for the provision of oral health education by the dental nurse in the workplace. Practical experience is gained under the supervision of a dentist.
The course covers
- The aetiology of oral disease
- Practical tips on the prevention of oral disease
- Health promotion
- Planning and evaluating Oral Health Education sessions
- Oral Health resources.
There are a maximum of 12 places available for this course.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Describe the cause and prevention of specific oral diseases
- Demonstrate effective communication skills
- Demonstrate an understanding of current reports, guidelines and research
- Demonstrate competency in providing Oral Health Education to patients through completion of a Portfolio (Record of Competence).
You will be expected to attend training on:
Thursday 22 June 2023.
Thursday 20 July 2023.
Thursday 24 August 2023.
Thursday 28 September 2023.
Thursday 26 October 2023.
Thursday 07 December 2023.
Thursday 11 January 2024.
Thursday 15 February 2024.
- GDC registration number
- Access to patients for oral health education as outlined in the “Employer Information Sheet” available here http://dtec.kch.nhs.uk/media/Employer-Infromation-Sheet-Oral-Health.pdf
- Self motivation
- Suitably qualified staff within the workplace who are willing to act as witnesses to your performance during completion of your Record of Experience. Each witness will need to complete a Witness Training Programme prior to observing any performance. Information regarding the Witness Training Programme is available here.
- Good communication skills
To gain the qualification you will need to:
- Attend 80% of the course dates
- Successfully complete an NEBDN Record of Competence.
- Achieve a pass in the NEBDN written examination.
How to apply
For documentation on how to apply please visit Oral Health Application Pack
This can be emailed to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net. Please send all documentation using the same method.
Any applications received with missing documents will not be processed and will be returned directly to applicant.
You will receive a confirmation email up to 3 working days from submission.
Please do not attend if you feel unwell or have any symptoms of Covid-19.
If you are interested in joining our mailing list, please email adding ‘Mailing List – Oral Health Education’ in the subject line to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net
Candidates who fail the examination will continue to be supported by the DTEC team at no extra cost until the expiration of their Record of Competence. NEBDN however will charge a resit examination fee. Details of fees payable are available on the NEBDN website (www.nebdn.org). These fees are to be paid to DTEC in the first instance and are then forwarded to NEBDN.
Candidates who choose to / or are required to defer entry to the examination will continue to be supported by the DTEC team at no extra cost until the expiration of their Record of Competence. NEBDN however will charge a deferral fee. Details of fees payable are available on the NEBDN website (www.nebdn.org). These fees are to be paid to DTEC in the first instance and are then forwarded to NEBDN.