The Dental Team Education Centre is committed to protecting the health and welfare of its staff and students. To this end we are looking to resume teaching on our post registration courses albeit in a very different format to usual.
We are taking a flexible approach to teaching and in order to protect the health of our community, we will have to limit the amount of people inside our buildings at any one time to ensure we can meet two metre safe distancing guidelines.
Where possible, we will deliver as much small group teaching, including clinical and lab-based sessions on the campus as we safely can.
Other teaching, including large group sessions and lectures, will be delivered online, through our virtual learning environment and Microsoft Teams.
Students should continue to apply for courses where they are happy to adopt the new teaching methods likely to be provided for the course.
Students who have already applied for a course will be contacted directly with any plans for the course provision as this information becomes available.
This NEBDN Certificate in Special Care Dental Nursing will provide Dental Nurses with an in depth knowledge of medical conditions and how these affect the treatment and care that patients receive.
Participants will attend an in-house induction and then complete modules online over a 45 week period. This is a blended learning course that combines online learning with classroom study giving you more flexibility to learn at your own pace, in your own time.
The course will cover:
- Special Care Provision
- Medical conditions and how these affect the treatment
- Oral Health Education
- Medical Emergencies
- Special Care Settings
- Legislation and Consent
There are a maximum of 18 places available for this course.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Support patients with various medical conditions and demonstrate how these may affect the treatment and care that patients will receive
- Be familiar with the various special care settings
- Demonstrate awareness of current relevant legislation including consent
- Promote patients general and oral health
- Demonstrate competency in assisting with the treatment of Special Care patients undergoing treatment through the completion of a portfolio (Record of Competence).
- Day 1: 24 April 2020
- Day 2: 25 April 2020
- Day 3: 06 August 2020
- Day 4: 27 November 2020
- Day 5: 12 February 2021
- GDC registration
- Working regularly with special care patients (patients with a range of medical and social needs) as outlined in the Employer Information Sheet – Special Care available here http://dtec.kch.nhs.uk/media/Employer-Information-Sheet-Special-Care.pdf
- Treating patients under conscious sedation and/or under general anaesthetic and/or domiciliary
- PC and internet connection.
- Suitably qualified staff within the workplace who are willing to act as witnesses to your performance during completion of your Record of Experience. Each witness will need to complete a Witness Training Programme prior to observing any performance. Information regarding the Witness Training Programme is available here.
To gain the qualification you will need to:
- Attend 80% of course dates
- Successfully complete an NEBDN Record of Competence
- Achieve pass in the NEBDN written exam.
If you are interested in joining our mailing list, please email adding ‘Mailing List – Dental Special Care Nursing’ in the subject line to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net
How to apply
- Give the Employer Information Sheet – Special Care Nursing to your employer to ensure they are happy to support you
- Download and complete the application form
- Download and complete the checklist form
- Pay online (full payment or course deposit) or provide company PO
- Submit the completed application and your confirmation of payment. This can be posted, or emailed to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net. Please send all documentation using the same method.
You will receive a confirmation email up to 3 working days from submission.