The Dental Team Education Centre is committed to protecting the health and welfare of its staff and students. To this end we are looking to resume teaching on our post registration courses albeit in a very different format to usual.
We are taking a flexible approach to teaching and in order to protect the health of our community, we will have to limit the amount of people inside our buildings at any one time to ensure we can meet two metre safe distancing guidelines.
Where possible, we will deliver as much small group teaching, including clinical and lab-based sessions on the campus as we safely can.
Other teaching, including large group sessions and lectures, will be delivered online, through our virtual learning environment and Microsoft Teams.
Students should continue to apply for courses where they are happy to adopt the new teaching methods likely to be provided for the course.
Students who have already applied for a course will be contacted directly with any plans for the course provision as this information becomes available.
In order to deliver clear oral health education messages, you will be required to be able to communicate effectively with a range of patients with various oral health care needs.
This NEBDN qualification provides theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary for the provision of oral health education by the dental nurse in the workplace. Practical experience is gained under the supervision of a dentist.
The course will cover:
- The aetiology of oral disease
- Practical tips on the prevention of oral disease
- Health promotion
- Planning and evaluating Oral Health Education sessions
- Oral Health resources.
There are a maximum of 18 places available for this course.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Describe the cause and prevention of specific oral diseases
- Demonstrate effective communication skills
- Demonstrate an understanding of current reports, guidelines and research
- Demonstrate competency in providing Oral Health Education to patients through completion of a Portfolio (Record of Competence).
What our trainees say
“Really enjoyed studying for my OHE certificate under brilliant guidance and teaching and would definitely recommend course to others.”
“Really interesting and fulfilling.”
Expected training attendance dates to be confirmed.
- GDC registration number
- Access to patients for oral health education as outlined in the “Employer Information Sheet” available here http://dtec.kch.nhs.uk/media/Employer-Infromation-Sheet-Oral-Health.pdf
- Self motivation
- Suitably qualified staff within the workplace who are willing to act as witnesses to your performance during completion of your Record of Experience. Each witness will need to complete a Witness Training Programme prior to observing any performance. Information regarding the Witness Training Programme is available here.
- Good communication skills
To gain the qualification you will need to:
- Attend 80% of the course dates
- Successfully complete an NEBDN Record of Competence.
- Achieve a pass in the NEBDN written examination.
If you are interested in joining our mailing list, please email adding ‘Mailing List – Oral Health Education’ in the subject line to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net
How to apply
- Give the Employer Information Sheet – Oral Health to your employer to ensure they are happy to support you
- Download and complete the application form
- Download and complete the checklist form
- Pay online (full payment or course deposit) or provide company PO
- Submit the completed application and your confirmation of payment. This can be posted, or emailed to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net. Please send all documentation using the same method.
You will receive a confirmation email up to 3 working days from submission.