In order to deliver clear oral health education messages, you will be required to be able to communicate effectively with a range of patients with various oral health care needs.
This NEBDN qualification provides theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary for the provision of oral health education by the dental nurse in the workplace. Practical experience is gained under the supervision of a dentist.
The course will cover:
- The aetiology of oral disease
- Practical tips on how to prevent oral disease
- Health promotion
- Planning and evaluating Oral Health Education sessions
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Discuss the cause and prevention of specific oral diseases
- Demonstrate effective communication skills
- Awareness of current reports, guidelines and research
- Undertake an examination to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of oral health education
- Demonstrate competency in providing Oral Health Education to patients through completion of a Record of Competence.
What our trainees say
“Really enjoyed studying for my OHE certificate under brilliant guidance and teaching and would definitely recommend course to others.”
“Really interesting and fulfilling.”
You will be expected to attend training on:
- Friday 24 May 2019
- Friday 28 June 2019
- Friday 26 July 2019
- Friday 06 September 2019
- Saturday 05 October 2019
- Friday 01 November 2019
- Friday 06 December 2019
- Friday 10 January 2020
- Friday 07 February 2020
- Saturday 29 February 2020
- GDC registration number
- Access to patients for oral health education
- Self motivation
- Supportive employer who will supervise you in your workplace
- Good communication skills
To gain the qualification you will need to:
- Attend 80% of the course dates
- Successfully complete an NEBDN Record of Competence, including 1 2,500-word case study and 1 1,000-word account of the delivery of a workplace exhibition or display
- Achieve a pass in the NEBDN written examination.
If you are interested in joining our mailing list, please email adding ‘Mailing List – Oral Health Education’ in the subject line to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net
How to apply
- Read the Employer Information Sheet – Oral Health
- Download and complete the application form
- Download and complete the checklist form
- Pay online (full payment or course deposit) or provide company PO
- Submit the completed application and your confirmation of payment. This can be posted, or emailed to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net. Please send all documentation using the same method.
- You will receive a confirmation email up to 3 working days from submission.