The Dental Team Education Centre is committed to protecting the health and welfare of its staff and students. To this end we are looking to resume teaching on our post registration courses albeit in a very different format to usual.
We are taking a flexible approach to teaching and in order to protect the health of our community, we will have to limit the amount of people inside our buildings at any one time to ensure we can meet two metre safe distancing guidelines.
Where possible, we will deliver as much small group teaching, including clinical and lab-based sessions on the campus as we safely can.
Other teaching, including large group sessions and lectures, will be delivered online, through our virtual learning environment and Microsoft Teams.
Students should continue to apply for courses where they are happy to adopt the new teaching methods likely to be provided for the course.
Students who have already applied for a course will be contacted directly with any plans for the course provision as this information becomes available.
This one day course provides the theoretical and practical knowledge and skills needed to competently take alginate impressions of patients to the prescription of a dentist. It is designed for dental nurses, but Dental Care Professionals who are interested in alginate impression taking are encouraged to attend.
Participants will attend a 1 day training course and complete a portfolio of evidence. Participants will have 8 weeks to complete the portfolio of evidence following the 1 day training held.
This course will cover:
- introduction to Clinical Patient Management
- dental materials
- restorative dentistry procedures
The course accepts a maximum of 18 places per course.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- discuss the various restorative procedures that require the use of dental alginate impressions and the most suitable materials that can be used for each
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding through set assignments
- demonstrate competency in safely taking dental alginate impressions under the prescription of a dentist through completion of a portfolio of experience.
To be accepted onto the course, you must have:
- your own GDC Registration Number
- a current BLS certificate
- self motivation
- time to complete a Portfolio of Experience
- an employer who is supportive of you taking the course
- access to adults and children requiring dental impressions
- access to Microsoft office 2010 version onwards.
before enrolling onto the course, you must have access to:
- a minimum of 15 patients, including at least:
- 10 dentate patients
- 2 edentulous patients
- 3 paediatric and adolescent patients.
If you are interested in joining our mailing list, please email adding ‘Mailing List – Impression Taking’ in the subject line to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net
How to apply
- Read the Employer Information Sheet – Impression Taking
- Download and complete the application form
- Download and complete the checklist form
- You will be contacted shortly with regards to methods of payment.
- Booking, Cancellation & Refund Policy
- Extenuating Circumstances Refund Request Form
- Submit the completed application and your confirmation of payment. This can be posted, or emailed to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net. Please send all documentation using the same method.
- You will receive a confirmation email up to 3 working days from submission.