The Dental Team Education Centre is committed to protecting the health and welfare of its staff and students. To this end we are looking to resume teaching on our post registration courses albeit in a very different format to usual.
We are taking a flexible approach to teaching and in order to protect the health of our community, we will have to limit the amount of people inside our buildings at any one time to ensure we can meet two metre safe distancing guidelines.
Where possible, we will deliver as much small group teaching, including clinical and lab-based sessions on the campus as we safely can.
Other teaching, including large group sessions and lectures, will be delivered online, through our virtual learning environment and Microsoft Teams.
Students should continue to apply for courses where they are happy to adopt the new teaching methods likely to be provided for the course.
Students who have already applied for a course will be contacted directly with any plans for the course provision as this information becomes available.
This course provides the practical and theoretical knowledge and skills needed for dental nurses to competently apply topical fluoride to adult and child patients, from a prescription of a dentist or as part of a community project. Participants attend 1 day of training, complete online modules via our DTEC Virtual Learning Environment, and complete a electronic portfolio of evidence.
This course will cover:
- Introduction to Clinical Patient Management
- Oral Disease
- Preventative Dentistry
- Topical Fluoride
The course accepts a maximum of 18 places per course.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Be competent in the safe selection and dosage of topical fluoride and have the knowledge of how to deal with an acute overdose of fluoride vanish
- Be familiar with the aetiology of dental disease and the principles of prevention
- Demonstrate competency in safely applying fluoride through completion of a electronic portfolio of experience
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding through set assignments.
What our candidates say?
“Thoroughly enjoyed the course and would definitely recommend it to my colleagues. The Teaching Team at King’s is excellent”.
To be accepted onto the course, you must have:
- GDC Registration Number
- Self motivation
- Time to complete a electronic portfolio of experience
- A supportive employer and supervising dentist who can act as a witness for you
- Access to adults and children requiring topical fluoride application
- Access to a PC, the internet and Microsoft Word.
Before enrolling onto the course, you must have access to:
- 7 adult patients
- 7 child/young adult patients
- Up to date Basic Life Support Certificate and evidence of CPD.
Participants are assessed via:
- Online modules
- A complete electronic portfolio of experience
If you are interested in joining our mailing list, please email adding ‘Mailing List – Fluoride Application’ in the subject line to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net
How to apply
- Read the Employer Information Sheet – Fluoride
- Download and complete the application form
- Download and complete the checklist form
- You will be contacted shortly with regards to methods of payment.
- Booking, Cancellation & Refund Policy
- Extenuating Circumstances Refund Request Form
- Submit the completed application and your confirmation of payment. This can be posted, or emailed to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net. Please send all documentation using the same method.
- You will receive a confirmation email up to 3 working days from submission.