Our GDC-approved training programme equips you with the skills and knowledge to qualify as a Dental Hygienist or Dental Therapist. As well as covered the appropriate clinical subjects, the course also focuses on developing your professional and people skills needed to work in this field, and accept professional responsibility for their contribution to the effective and safe care of patients.
The course is provided by KCH School of Dental Hygiene and Therapy, part of King’s College Hospital Dental Institute.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs (or O’Levels) which must include the following:
- a Double Science award at Grade BB or above or a single Biology award at Grade B or above
- English Language at Grade B or above
- Three additional GCSE’s in any subject at grade A – C
The subject requirements stated above will not be applicable if you completed these subjects at AS / A Level standard or equivalent.
In addition to the above, one of the following:
- a Dental Nursing Certificate (The National or NVQ Oral Health Care Level 3).
- a BTEC National Diploma.
- GNVQ (advanced) or NVQ level 3 or above in a science based subject.
- 2 A-levels at Grade C or above – preference will be given to those with Biology based subjects.
- Access to Science (or similar) with 60 credits at Level 3.
- International Baccalaureate
- Advanced Scottish Highers at C or above including Biology and English.
- Irish Leaving Certificates (higher)
- a degree
See the Prospectus for full details of entry requirements and selection criteria.
Year 1: Assessments and formal examinations
Year 2: 5000-6000 word research project and presentation
Following successful completion of these assessments, we will you/ you can register to take the Orthodontic Therapy Diploma Examination of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Year 3: Presentations and formal examinations
Bursaries and Loans
You can apply for a means tested bursary – see the Prospectus for more details. Course students are not eligible for a loan from the Student Loans Company, as the course is non-fee paying.
How to apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in undertaking the Hygiene and Therapy Programme to request for a prospectus and application form.
The recruitment window for the January 2019 intake is now closed.