This course gives the practical and theoretical knowledge and skills needed to competently assist during routine conscious sedation procedures.
After a general introduction to the subject, your tutor will work with you to help you decide which award or certificate is most appropriate for you. This allows you to complete the qualification best suited to your clinical environment. Options are:
- Certificate in Dental Sedation Nursing
- Award in Inhalation Sedation Dental Nursing
- Award in Intravenous Sedation Dental Nursing
The course will cover:
- applied anatomy and physiology
- applied pharmacology
- equipment used in dental sedation
- assisting, monitoring and recovery of conscious sedation patients
- dealing with medical emergencies.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- prepare, monitor and recover a patient during a sedation procedure
- prepare and clear a clinical environment
- assist the dentist in procedures including recovering a patient
- apply current legislation, including consent in your working practice
- demonstrate competency in assisting with the treatment of patients undergoing conscious sedation through the completion of a Record of Competence.
You will be expected to attend training on:
- Friday 09 November 2018
- Saturday 01 December 2018
- Friday 04 January 2019
- Saturday 02 February 2019
- Friday 08 March 2019
- Friday 05 April 2019
- Friday 10 May 2019
- Friday 14 June 2019
- Friday 09 August 2019
- GDC registration number
- Self motivation
- A supportive employer who will supervise you in your workplace and assess competence as well as provide constructive teaching and feedback on clinical tasks
- Access to the following patients:
- Certificate in Dental Sedation Nursing: a minimum of 20 intravenous sedation cases and a minimum of 10 inhalation sedation cases
- Award in Inhalation Sedation Dental Nursing: a minimum of a minimum of 10 Inhalation sedation cases
- Award in Intravenous Sedation Dental Nursing: a minimum of 20 Intravenous sedation cases.
To gain the qualification you will need to:
- attend 80% of the course dates
- successfully complete an NEBDN Record of Competence
- achieve a pass in the NEBDN written exam.
How to apply
- Download and complete the application form
- Pay online (full payment or course deposit) or provide company PO
- Submit the completed application and your confirmation of payment. This can be posted, or emailed to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net. Please send all documentation using the same method.
- You will receive a confirmation email up to 3 working days from submission.