The Dental Team Education Centre is committed to protecting the health and welfare of its staff and students. To this end we are looking to resume teaching on our post registration courses albeit in a very different format to usual.
We are taking a flexible approach to teaching and in order to protect the health of our community, we will have to limit the amount of people inside our buildings at any one time to ensure we can meet two metre safe distancing guidelines.
Where possible, we will deliver as much small group teaching, including clinical and lab-based sessions on the campus as we safely can.
Other teaching, including large group sessions and lectures, will be delivered online, through our virtual learning environment and Microsoft Teams.
Students should continue to apply for courses where they are happy to adopt the new teaching methods likely to be provided for the course.
Students who have already applied for a course will be contacted directly with any plans for the course provision as this information becomes available.
This NEBDN qualification will develop the theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to competently assist during routine conscious sedation procedures.
After a general introduction to the subject, your tutor will work with you to help you decide which award or certificate is most appropriate for you. This allows you to complete the qualification best suited to your clinical environment. Options are:
- Certificate in Dental Sedation Nursing
- Award in Inhalation Sedation Dental Nursing
- Award in Intravenous Sedation Dental Nursing
The course will cover:
- Applied anatomy and physiology
- Applied pharmacology
- Equipment used in dental sedation
- Assisting, monitoring and recovery of conscious sedation patients
- Dealing with medical emergencies.
There are a maximum of 18 places available for this course.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Prepare, monitor and recover a patient during a sedation procedure
- Prepare and clear a clinical environment
- Assist the dentist in procedures including recovering a patient
- Apply current legislation, including consent in your working practice
- Demonstrate competency in assisting with the treatment of patients undergoing conscious sedation through the completion of a Record of Competence.
- 06 November 2021
- 04 December 2021
- 21 January 2022
- 12 February 2022
- 04 Marc 2022
- 08 April 2022
- 06 May 2022
- 03 June 2022
- 05 August 2022
- GDC registration number
- Self motivation
- Suitably qualified staff within the workplace who are willing to act as witnesses to your performance during completion of your Record of Experience. Each witness will need to complete a Witness Training Programme prior to observing any performance. Information regarding the Witness Training Programme is available here.
- Access to the following patients:
- Certificate in Dental Sedation Nursing: a minimum of 20 intravenous sedation cases and a minimum of 10 inhalation sedation cases
- Award in Inhalation Sedation Dental Nursing: a minimum of a minimum of 10 Inhalation sedation cases
- Award in Intravenous Sedation Dental Nursing: a minimum of 20 Intravenous sedation cases.
To gain the qualification you will need to:
- Attend 80% of the course dates
- Successfully complete an NEBDN Record of Competence
- Achieve a pass in the NEBDN written exam.
If you are interested in joining our mailing list, please email adding ‘Mailing List – Dental Sedation’ in the subject line to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net
How to apply
- Give the Employer Information Sheet – Sedation to your employer to ensure they are happy to support you.
- Download and complete the application form
- Download and complete the checklist form
- Pay online (full payment or course deposit) or provide company PO
- Submit the completed application and your confirmation of payment. This can be posted, or emailed to kch-tr.DentalTeamEducationCentre@nhs.net. Please send all documentation using the same method.
You will receive a confirmation email up to 3 working days from submission.